Saturday, January 8, 2011

The call that changed it all... we think

Four and a half years ago "we" enlisted in the Navy. I say "we" because it was a MAJOR family decision. One that would essentially pave the way for our future, but also devastate our families. Josh's because he was the only son in his family and as much as his mom nor him would ever admit, he was and still is a momma's boy, I mean when I met him she was ironing his underwear. My family would equally be upset because that would mean at some point we would be moving. So far we things have gone well and we've stayed put. I think we are both looking forward to the day that we might get to move and "be on our own". We are very close with all of our family and as scary as it is, seeing the real world and making it on our own would be an adventure.

Friday morning my husband called, around 11 as I was working and said, "How's Tuesday"... My abrupt reply was, for what? Then those words came out of his mouth and I could feel my heart breaking, not because I was sad or upset, but because that meant we were back to a long distance relationship and me being a single parent again... While I can handle all of that to the best of my being, the mere fact that I can't just hop in a car and in a few short hours see my husband's beaming face, instead this time he'll be 22 hours away, that to us means few trips back and forth. I was relieved to find out that only the first 64ish days will be that far and then it'll be significantly closer 8 hours away, which is way more manageable!

My husband will be heading to his "C" School. This will essentially set him up for more civilian opportunities if and when he leaves the Navy. So, I'm busy preparing his bags while he is spending the weekend drilling, all so that Tuesday I can drop him off at the airport and resume life as normal back at home with our brood. Normalicy is what keeps us all strong through these separations.

Now all of this is reliant upon the fact that since everything was done so quickly that BUMED approves his orders.

I am excited for this new journey and it takes us one step closer to active duty.

God Bless,

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment